Friday, August 12, 2016

On morning's light

Morning has always seemed such a special time to me.  A time when the burgeoning sunlight softly arcs across the awakening world, the angles of it's rays so gentle as they touch each tree or surface, caressing each person who has awoken to greet the new day.

As the dew wafts fresh over the grass, the birds awaken after their night of rest, gently calling to each other across the boughs, connecting again, as they stretch their wings and prepare for the new day ahead.


And so, I was surprised to read a few weeks ago that the light of morning is indistinct from evening's light.  There is no physically measurable  difference between morning and evening sunlight in terms of the light's softness or gentleness of arc. As morning dawns and the sun creeps across our world it is the same in reverse as the arriving of nightfall.

The difference is in our perception.  In how our eyes adjust to the newness of the light after a nighttime of darkness.  And, I would hypothesize, in the softness of our spirits as we awaken to embrace a new day, our hearts open like a little child whose arm is loving touched by the wizened, wrinkled hand of her beloved grandmother.  It is in that moment of touch that all the secrets and truths of the earth are passed down throughout the generations.  Time after time.

Indeed, as with the light of the morning, in life our perception is everything.  It's a lesson I've been learning this week in numerous ways.

It's been a week where I've been deeply reflecting on my life. An ocean's depths of emotions have swelled in my spirit. The life I physically live is very different than how it used to be; there are some physical circumstances in my life I would never choose if given the choice.  And yet, God has seen fit to order my days right now in this exact way.

A few days ago I came across an anonymous quote online that has both taught me much and quieted my soul:
    "Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrating it for everything that it is." 

I'm learning to trust God that the way my life is unfolding is part of the plan for my life.  That in the quietness Truth speaks.  That, regardless of one's circumstances, peace and deep meaning and calm and creativity and most of all thankfulness are always our choice to live.

 That joy comes in the morning.




1 comment: